Museums and Art

Historical and Archaeological Museum, Kerch, Ukraine

Historical and Archaeological Museum, Kerch, Ukraine

Kerch Museum of History and Archeology is the oldest museum in Crimea, it was founded in 1826 on June 15. The collection of the museum was initially based on valuable exhibits by Paul Dubrucks, but over time they were supplemented by others, no less valuable, which were obtained as a result of research on ancient medieval monuments.

History of the Kerch Museum of Archeology and History

In 1833, when the museum became subordinate to the Imperial Archaeological Commission, the museum staff began to search, collect and store unique exhibits for the museum fund of the Hermitage. In practice, the formation of Russian archeology began with the fruits of activity and the scientific foundations for the protection of monuments and local history of the Kerch Museum.

At the beginning of the twentieth century, during the Civil War, when there was anarchy and hard times in the Russian Empire, the provincial Kerch museum continued to work, and when Soviet power came to the Crimea, it was subordinated to the Commissariat of Public Education. Now, in addition to archeology, the functions of cultural and educational activities have been added. In 1922, the museum was housed in a private mansion P. Mesaksudi, who owned tobacco factories, known far beyond the borders of Crimea. At that time it was the best building of the city, now it is a monument of architecture of the nineteenth century.

During the Great Patriotic War, many cultural and educational institutions were damaged and destroyed, including the Kerch Museum. Nowadays, visitors are offered exhibitions of the History of the Bosporus Kingdom and the Kerch region during the Middle Ages.

In 2006, celebrating its 180th anniversary, the museum presented visitors with more than two thousand different exhibits.

Museum exposition description


In the first hall exhibits of primitive people of the Kerch Peninsula, stands with finds of culture of the Middle Stone Age, the Bronze Age, and stone iron are presented. Of great interest to visitors are various products made of bone and ceramics, tools, products from flint and bronze.

Scythian mounds revealed to us the history of the era of Greek colonization of the 7th-6th centuries BC. The northern Black Sea region was inhabited by Greek settlements, then a century later, large cities formed here, among which Panticapaeum (the first settlement of the Bosporus) became the capital of the fertile plain of the Bosporan kingdom. The exposition includes vessels coated with black varnish, terracotta, lamps, Finnish glass, Klazomensky amphorae.


In the second hall Antique city is represented. The exposition is based on a panel of the majestic structure of the Acropolis of Panticapaeum, surrounded by powerful walls. The economy of the Bospor kingdom consisted of agriculture, winemaking and fishing. The collected exhibits in the second hall demonstrate the tools of these trades: fishing gear, stone graters, and pithos for storing grain, there are even fragments of the vine and grapes, as well as barley grains, slightly charred. Even whole complexes of objects have survived: horse bridles, bone spinning wheels, buckles and clasps for clothes made of bronze, swords with daggers made of iron.


Third hall devoted to the history of the 1st century BC of the Bosporus kingdom. This is a century of dependence on the Roman Empire, a change in the political situation and trade relations. There are samples of this period on the stands.


The fourth hall characterized by acquaintance with deities, cults, ceremonies of the Bosporus people.

Second floor filled with exhibits characterizing the era of medieval Kerch. The stands feature jewelry, dishes, weapons, household items, fragments and tombstones that tell about the cycle of events, the change of cultures and peoples' lives.


Watch the video: 7 Tips: Athens Acropolis Guide (October 2021).