Museums and Art

Museum-Reserve Zolochevsky Castle - photos and description, Ukraine

Museum-Reserve Zolochevsky Castle - photos and description, Ukraine

Ukraine is so rich in various museum values ​​that you involuntarily think about the purpose of the Ukrainian land. I would like to share with readers another interesting historical place located near the city of Lviv, in the small town of Zolochev.

Museum "Zolochiv Castle" located on Zamkova Street and is part of the tourist route "Golden Horseshoe of Lviv region". Routes pass through Podgoretsky castle, followed by Olesky and end with Zolochevsky castle.

Zolochevsky Castle is located in the place where trade routes of the south-west direction passed in the 15th century. Tatars and Turks often in these places attacked wealthy merchants with a view to gaining profit. Therefore, it was necessary to build an outpost to protect against raids. In those days, the power of the city Zolochev passed from hand to hand with lightning speed: either the Tatar-Mongols burst in and burned everything in their path, then the Crimean Tatars, then the Turks. The wooden fortress burned to the ground and again reborn from the ashes.

In 1599, the city of Zolochev was again captured, now by the Poles. The owner of the city was the Sobieski family, which belonged to a wealthy noble family. The head of the family, Marek Sobieski, was ordered to completely destroy the wooden buildings and begin the construction of a powerful fortress made of bricks and cobblestones. The castle was built until 1634. Marek’s son, Jakub Sobieski, completed the construction. He used the “Dutch” method in construction, that is, they fortified the fortress with an additional earthen rampart and overlaid it with stone valleys, creating an impregnable and steep wall for the enemy. The casemate and communications were also located there, allowing on the spot, without interrupting the battle, to repair the damage received during the shelling by the enemy.

Forty years later, Marek’s grandson - Jan, then the well-known Polish king Jan III, with the help of captured Turks completed and fortified the fortress so that he could easily repel the attack of Aji Giray, the leader of the Tatar army. Zolochevsky Castle received the new status of the royal residence of John III, although he was there very rarely. A two-story palace was built on the territory of the castle, which was equipped with fireplace and stove heating, a sewage system was carried out, which was an innovation of the 17th century. A Chinese small palace, popularly called Pink, was built near the palace. It was a gift from the king to his wife, Maria Casimira. Beautiful gardens were erected there.

Nevertheless, the castle performed defensive functions, and gradually with the change of owners, it began to collapse. The next owner of the castle, Count Komarnitsky, restored it a little, but with the arrival of the Austrians, the buildings were given over to the barracks, then to the hospital, and at the end - to the prison.

In this status, the castle functioned until World War II. The worst happened at the beginning of the war. The prison authorities ordered that all prisoners be taken out and executed, which was done. Now a chapel was built in that place, as a tribute to the memory. The prison continued to exist in 1953, then the school was located there.

The restoration of the castle began only in the mid-eighties and continues to this day, but Museum "Zolochiv Castle" Now it is already receiving guests, and there is hope that the castle will revive its former beauty.


Watch the video: Corruption Museum Walkthrough Symbol of Viktor Yanukovych Regime (October 2021).