We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The famous Pechora fortress! How many stories and stories about her. What a beauty and breadth!
In the nineteenth century, near the city of Kiev in the Pechora region, earthen fortifications were built, called the New Pechora Fortress. She fulfilled her mission for a hundred years and only in 1927, the fortress became a branch of the Museum of History of Kiev. Now it is an independent museum institution, which has more than 17,000 different exhibits. This is a unique historical monument. The earthen fortress occupied the first place among the earthen fortresses of Europe and the second place among the world constructions.
Today, many structures of the fortress have been restored and are of high value to the museum. Among them, one can highlight the hospital fortification, which was located on Cherepanova Mountain, called "Oblique caponier". It received a peculiar name due to the fact that it was at an oblique angle to the fortification of the earthen rampart and made it easier for the gunners to conduct the battle.
At first, the caponier was built from earthen ramparts, the height of which reached 15 meters and they passed near the deep ditches. Then they added reinforcement with brick and stone. Inside the shafts there are forty-meter tunnels with side bevels, which are closed on both sides by gratings. The entire caponier consists of two levels: ground and underground.
The entire perimeter of the structure was protected by guns that stood on the shafts. In the underground part there were warehouses for ammunition and the temporary presence of soldiers, and the ground part of the caponier overlooked the slope of Cherepanova Mountain. In the middle of the nineteenth century, a prison was located in the underground part of the fortress, where political prisoners were kept. There, besides the cells, there were also punishment cells, which one could get into even for simple conversations between prisoners.
In 1863, participants in the Polish uprising were held there, in 1905 - rebellious soldiers of the Selenginsky regiment, in 1907 - soldiers - rebels of the Sapper battalion. In the Diagonal Caponier, the death penalty was carried out near Lysogorsky fort and the hanged men were also buried, since criminals were forbidden to bury with everyone. For good reason, “Oblique Caponier” was nicknamed “Kiev Shlisselburg”.
Today in the Diagonal Caponier there is an underground exposition, visiting which becomes scary from the tiny two-meter punishment cells where the guilty were kept. The temperature in such cells was about zero degrees, the arrested man could neither sit down nor lie down, as there was ice on the floor. Among the exhibits you can see old dishes, weapons, uniforms of guards, personal belongings of convicts and a carriage on which suicide bombers were taken to the Lysogorsky Fort for execution.
During the restoration work of the caponier's consolidated hall, it was discovered that there was wonderful acoustics that allowed opening the hall where chamber music evenings are held. In 2004, a museum of Tripoli culture was opened on the territory of caponier.