Museum of Local Lore in Poltava refers to the oldest and most famous museums in Ukraine. Dokuchaev, during various soil science expeditions, gathered a large collection of rock samples, various soil and a vast herbarium.
Initially, the zemstvo leadership gave a small outbuilding to the museum, which was located on the territory of the zemstvo building. After the construction of the new building of the Zemstvo Council, the architect of which was V.G. Krichevsky, the museum took its place on the third floor. The building itself is made in the style of Ukrainian Art Nouveau, the external and internal decoration of the interior clearly expressed Ukrainian themes. In 1909, after visiting Poltava, Emperor Nicholas II expressed his dissatisfaction with the design of the museum. He considered it too Ukrainian, and not just belonging to the Russian Empire.
The museum building consists of three floors, the first floor is basement, it is decorated with pink granite. A lancet roof with two towers and lateral risalites rises above the central part. The facade of the building is decorated with coats of arms of the district cities of the Poltava province of the early twentieth century, made of ceramics and majolica. Inside the building is dominated by heraldry with floral and floral ornaments. Finishing was ordered in the cities of Oposhn and Mirgorod, famous for their excellent masters in ceramics and majolica. On the doors of the main entrance there is an ornament of a carved “tree of life”, which gives the building a special flavor.
Biologist N.A. Olekhovsky became the first director of the museum. Patron E.N. Skarzhinsky from the city of Lubny was transferred to the museum twenty thousandth meeting and scientific library, and P.P. Borovsky himself donated collections of ancient Egyptian art objects and the work of Chinese, Japanese and Indian masters. In addition, the Poltava diocese donated several thousand of the most ancient church objects from its vaults.
After the revolution, the museum occupied the entire premises of the provincial zemstvo. The exhibits appeared in the museum, thanks to constant expeditions to the Poltava region until 1930. In 1941, they managed to transport some of the collection to Tyumen and Ufa, a significant part died after the Nazi occupation, some were looted by them.
For comparison: before the war, the museum had more than 118 thousand items, and after the war there were only 37 thousand of them. The damaged building of the museum was restored only in 1964, and the full restoration of the interiors and re-exposure of the exhibition halls ended only in the early nineties.
Today the museum fund has more than 190 thousand exhibits. Here visitors are offered to inspect ancient edged weapons, armor, all kinds of household utensils and religious buildings. The historical halls feature expositions on the history of the Cossacks on Poltava land of the 17-18 centuries, as well as "Poltava people during the Great Patriotic War."