The museum is located on Museum Island in the German capital and today belongs to the state. The museum began with exhibits from the Egyptian department of the collection of King Frederick William III of Prussia. Later, the collection was replenished with finds from archaeological expeditions conducted in 1842-1845, led by Karl Richard Lepsius.
Prussian crowned persons, and then the Kaisers of Germany, sponsored and encouraged archaeological expeditions. The Egyptian Berlin Museum houses the world's largest collection of cultural objects of Ancient Egypt: the gates of Halabi temples, the busts of the famous pharaoh Akhenaten and his world-famous wife Nefertiti, the oldest and best-preserved mummies, rare papyrus, funerary masks, reliefs from the ancient tombs of the pharaohs , Book of the Dead, “Berlin Green Head”, manuscripts of the early Christians, courtyard of the Sahura temple, an interesting portrait of Queen Teieu.
The collection of the museum has more than 2 thousand exhibits and even outnumbers the Egyptian museum in Cairo. The oldest exhibits date back over five thousand years. There is a joke that German archaeologists simply robbed the people of Egypt.
The reason for such smiles may be the story of the bust of Nefertiti. It was created in 1360 BC. and discovered by an archaeologist from Germany Ludwig Borchard in 1912 in the place of El Amarna in the ancient workshop of an unknown sculptor. To mislead the Egyptian authorities (the bust had to be taken out of the country), the bosom was plastered and convinced the Egyptians that the sculpture was not of special value. And in 1920, James Simon, who paid for this expedition, presented a bust. egyptian museum of berlin.
At the end of World War II, the collection was divided into parts, and its reunification occurred after the unification of the German state. More than half a million tourists and history buffs of Egypt visit the museum annually.